March 28, 2020
These are trying times for the nation as well everyone involved in youth soccer. We hope that all our participants are following guidelines recommended by public health officials to keep yourselves safe.
The ODSL Board met via virtual conference this past week to consider the latest directives and options for play this season. The harsh truth of this matter is that no one knows what the future might bring, even short term. Please know, in any decision the Board makes, the safety of our participants is paramount. If possible, the ODSL would like to salvage at least a portion of the spring season, giving teams at best a few matches. Keep in mind that half of all the fields we play on are school fields and they have been closed for the remainder of the school year. It could be early May before we are able to make the determination on our ability to play on other fields. Based upon availability of fields and teams we will strive to publish a schedule at that time.
Should playing games become possible, the ODSL will determine an equitable prorated fee and refund the remainder of team fees to clubs or apply them to the fall season based upon the request of each club. If we are unable to play any portion of the season, the ODSL will absorb all the fixed costs for the spring season and refund all team fees or apply them to the Fall season based upon the request of each club. VYSA Player Fees, paid by new teams in the spring, will not be refunded so that the team will continue to be covered by insurance and have sanctioning should they elect to practice, or play tournaments during the summer.
I am confident that better times are ahead of us and soon we will be able to return to the sport we love. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience as we make difficult decisions. Please continue to be vigilant for the sake of your family’s health.