Board Mtg Minutes, 11-11-2009

 

ODSL Executive Board Meeting Minutes
November 11, 2009
 
Present: Randy Martin; Karen Klumpp; Dave Milne; Lisa Wilson; Tom Lewis
 
Meeting was called to order at 7:35.
 
Minutes from the October board meeting (10/15/2009) were reviewed. A motion was made to approve the minutes with minor modifications indicated, seconded and approved.
 
Treasurer:    (Presented by Dave.) Everything appears to be in order. Dave will talk to Bank of America about moving money into a money market and/or CD during December.
 
Registrar: Nothing to report.
 
Girls Commissioner:  
·         Tom has been getting regular complaints about referees. There have been frequent requests for a tool to grade the referees, a tool for quality assurance. The state has people that do assessments. ODSL could get with the State and request that many of our referees get assessed. Probably 50% of our ODSL referees are younger than 20 years of age. The information would be used more as a mentoring system.
·         There was a game in which MCLN showed up at an EPIC field. The MCLN coach refused to play because the U12 field had a full-sized goal and an inappropriate size of goal box. The ODSL rules state that no one other than the Board may declare a forfeit. The goal size was outside the maximum (7 x 21) required in the ODSL procedures.   A motion was made to declare this game a “non-game.” Thus, neither team will benefit nor be penalized.
 
Administrator:
·         Tom and Greg did a great job putting together the divisions. Approximately 2/3 of the divisions will not have a clearly defined first/second place determined until after the final game!
·         Dave has all the pallets of trophies ready to start sending out. As soon as winners are declared, these will be finished.
·         Message will be sent to all the assignors asking them to ensure that all matches have been reported on-line (or entered by Dave if paper format used). Referees are only paid for matches reported.
·         It has been a long season, with many reschedules. Some games got rescheduled 4 times.
·         Patches will be sent to all U9 teams. (They receive patches in the fall, pins in the spring.) Lisa will get a price quote for the string bags as a possible alternative to patches.
·         An email will be sent to all teams to remind them to go online and vote for the Randy Rawls Awards.
 
President:
·         Randy would like a breakdown of the age of the referees (<14, 15-18, 18-25, etc). Dave will get the information from the State Referee database and we can compare the information with the ODSL listing of referees.
·         The Randy Rawls online voting is open. 
·         Randy made the suggestion of holding an “ODSL Cup” tournament. The profits, after covering all expenses, would go to a designated charity. The designated charity would change each year. Another option would be to have a soccer “festival,” at which each team would participate in games and in fun activities, earning additional points to help their team win. 
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:10pm.